2015 Q3 Update
2015 Q3 update!
Hello everyone! I’m back after an almost 2 month hiatus with my 2015 Q3 update. First let’s recap what has happened in the last three months cause I’m sure some of you were wondering where I disappeared to!
I managed to keep my Monday and Thrusday posting schedule for about a month, then it dwindled and I ended up stopping posting all together. The last half of August was insane at work, lots of people on vacation so I ended up working 11 days straight of 12-13 hour days. Add a one hour commute on either end of that and it REALLY didn’t leave much time for anything other than eating and sleeping.
After that ridiculous 11 days of work I hopped on a plane for my old stomping grounds of Halifax, NS. I ended up spending the long weekend there for my good friend’s bachelor party and then spent the following Monday and Tuesday catching up with some friends I haven’t seen in 4-5 years. It was a pretty awesome time. I got to spend some time at the Boardroom which was a very nice spot, great place to sample some new board games and surprisingly good food too. It wasn’t all play though, I did end up with a business meeting to get some more information about some business in Halifax I am looking into. I unfortunately can’t divulge much information on it at the moment, but it’s exciting for me nonetheless!
Alright now on to the finances!
As many of you probably know the last 3 months were less than stellar in almost all markets. The S&P 500, which is an index of the top 500 companies trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) drop 6.94%. Not good, we don’t like drops at all, unless we just came into a pile of money and were planning on investing. This was the same for almost all other major indexes or markets, the Dow Jones dropped 7.98%, the TSX dropped 8.17% and almost all other markets. (I say almost all, but haven’t thoroughly checked everyone so maybe a couple had a good quarter! )
So with that heartwarming and optimistic intro how bad did I do? Actually not as bad as I thought…
As you can see from the tables about my net worth has actually increased 2%. This was great news for me as I didn’t expect to have an increase in wealth over this quarter. I had a big bill come through for my duplex renovations which I didn’t accrue(account for) in my previous quarter.
I took some vacation this quarter so my bills were a bit higher than usual, but luckily one of my good friends had a spare room and vehicle that they let me use when I was in Halifax, so that saved me a bunch. I also booked two more trips for November and December this year. I’m heading to LA in November so if anyone has any must see things please let me know in the comments or by email.
So how’d you do on your goals?
- Financial goal– I’m hoping to not lose any ground on my net worth. – SUCCESS! I managed a gain of 2% over this period, so I’m ecstatic about that.
- Blog goal– Meet my planned updates for every Monday and Thursday. – FAIL! I achieved maybe a third of this, then went AWOL and stopped posting for almost 2 months.
- Blog goal– double my social media community (Start: Twitter-14, Facebook-25, Instagram-30). – Finish: Twitter: 44; Facebook: 37; Instagram:42 – FAIL! But not bad! considering my silence for two months I was pretty happy with these increases.
- Blog goal – get featured on 2 established blogs. – SUCCESS – I was feature on Canadian Budget Binder under their MAD feature and Blogger of the day also did a 5 question interview with me.
- Personal– Plan a birthday trip on budget for the last quarter of this year. – SUCCESS! – My girlfriend and I are heading to LA in November for our annual birthday trip.
- Personal– Finally fill out my APEGA (engineering) experience forms and write the exam to receive my Professional Engineering designation. Working in construction this was never a big priority for me but it’s gotten to a point where I have more than enough experience and I should probably just fill out the papers and make a few calls to get it done. Basically I was lazy on this one! This is also a great financial tool because it will give me better leverage when negotiating a salary on my future jobs/raises. – FAIL! I have no excuse for this one, got part way through and stopped.
Overall 3/6 isn’t too bad. I think I could have achieved the social media following I set out for if I kept posting. Obviously the APEGA experience forms were a pretty easy miss that I should have kept on top of.
So are you going to set any goals for this quarter?
You bet I am! Here’s what I’m setting myself up for this upcoming quarter:
- Financial goal– Top of my savings account with another $7000, bringing the total up to $54k by the end of the year.
- Blog goal– 5 posts per month. I think I’ll have to scale back the plan a little this time around. Probably got a little too ambitious and overestimated the time needed to publish good posts twice a week.
- Blog goal– Social media – I want to increase my followers by 50%
- Personal– Finally fill out my APEGA (engineering) experience forms and book the exam. I don’t think I’ll be able to make the next exam, but I’ll plan my vacations around the one to make sure I have a chance to make it.